All Things Pure Products
We do not use synthetic fragrances or artificial dyes in any of our products, and never will. Every aroma you smell comes from 100% natural essential oils that are used in the products for their beneficial properties. Their amazing aromas are a bonus. And the way we see it, artificial colorants serve no purpose in skin care products and actually cause harm. When you use an All Things Pure product, you're putting 100% natural ingredients on your face – not dye or perfume.
Bioelements packages over 80% of its products in glass. The other 20% are packaged in materials that are necessary for specific product performance and stability. For the past seventeen years, Bioelements has strongly believed in responsibly producing its products. We proudly continue to lead the industry with our standards of safety and purity.
Click here to read more about Our Commitments.
Shopping, Orders & Returns
- Majority of orders will ship within 24 hours of receipt via FedEx.
- Orders are processed (excluding holidays) Monday through Friday from 8:00am to 5:00pm CST.
- Most orders with 2-Day Express or Standard Overnight will be shipped the same business days if the order is placed by 9am CST.
- We are currently unable to accept orders to be billed or shipped to destinations outside the U.S.
- All purchases are subject to bank authorization prior to processing. Only orders that are authorized will be shipped and processed.
Have questions about your shipment? Please contact Bioelements Customer Service at 877.550.4050 (Monday-Friday, 8:00am to 5:00pm CST) or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can track your Bioelements.com order in one of two ways:
- Once your order ships, you will receive an email that contains the tracking number for your package. You may click on the tracking number to be re-directed to the carrier's website to view the delivery status of your order.
- Log in to your Bioelements.com account. Click on the "Order" tab in your account screen to view detailed information on your current and previous purchases. After your order is shipped your tracking number will be displayed. To track your order via the carrier's website, you may click on the tracking number to view the delivery status of your order.
Don't see a tracking number? Sometimes it takes the carrier up to 24 hours to post tracking information, so check back.
Not satisfied with your product? No problem, all products purchased through bioelements.com may be returned within 30 days from the date of purchase, for any reason.
To return your product, please enclose your Bioelements packing slip along with the product you are returning to:
Bioelements Returns & Exchanges
4346 Belgium Blvd.
Kansas City, MO 64150
Your package must be postmarked within 30 days of purchase to be eligible for a refund or exchange. We suggest sending your package via USPS, UPS, FedEx or other insured carrier to ensure prompt delivery – and remember to pack carefully as most carriers will reject a package that is leaking.
All refunds will be credited back to the original credit card used on the order within 30 days. Shipping charges will not be refunded.
If you purchased Bioelements products at a store, spa or salon; please contact them directly to inquire about their return policy.
Creating a bioelements.com account is free, fast and easy. Simply complete this form to receive these benefits:
- Faster Checkout
- Check your order status online
- Save multiple addresses
Plus, you can opt in to "Stay in the Loop" with Bioelements. Every now and then well send you an email about our latest innovations, some serious skin care facts and other "you just gotta know" stuff. And please don't worry. We won't send you a million emails a day or share your email address with anyone.
Sign up and receive info on new products plus exclusive promotions and special offers from All Things Pure.
Thank you for your interest in becoming a Bioelements Partnership Spa. Click here to receive more information about becoming a Bioelements Partnership Spa.